AFPThe Syrian Army declared that all terrorists have left Eastern Ghouta, after a blistering two-month offensive on the terrorist enclave on the outskirts of the capital.
The announcement, which represents a key strategic victory for President Bashar al-Assad, came after US-led strikes pounded Syria in response to a suspected chemical attack on the enclave's main town of Douma, AFP wrote on Sunday.
Syria and Russia have both denied using chemical weapons and said the claims were fabrications used to justify Western military action.
"All terrorists have left Douma, the last of their holdouts in Eastern Ghouta," state news agency SANA quoted an army spokesman as saying.
"Areas of Eastern Ghouta in rural Damascus have been fully cleansed of terrorism," an army spokesman also said in a statement delivered on state television.
The Syrian government and allied forces launched a massive assault on February 18 to retake the enclave, which had been under terrorist control since 2012.
Assad had made the recapture of Eastern Ghouta a strategic goal.
On Saturday Syria's internal security forces entered Douma, after the last convoy of buses transporting members of the Jaish al-Islam terror group and their relatives left the town.
The Syrian Army said a cleanup operation was underway in the battered enclave.
"Engineering units are starting to clear the mines and explosives sewn by the terrorists in the town to allow the rest of the units to secure the liberated areas and prepare them for the return of civilians to their homes," the army spokesman said.
Thousands of civilians who fled the offensive have already returned to areas previously retaken by the army and allied forces.